Hemorrhoids, also known as piles is a swelling extending from the lower rectum and anus. They develop due to bad digestion, constipation and various symptoms such as pregnancy, obesity and other poor lifestyle habits. Yogic techniques are valuable in reducing the symptoms and eliminating the real cause of piles. These postures cause expansion and contraction of the anal muscles thereby keeping it relaxed. Yogic poses help in healing fissures and heal constipation which is the main cause of this problem. The following are the Yoga Asanas that will help extensively in healing piles or Hemorrhoids.
Viparita Karani or legs up the wall:
The first and foremost pose that can help in healing hemorrhoids is Viparita Karani or legs up the wall. This is particularly beneficial in improving blood circulation to the anus thereby helping in healing the condition. Also known as the lake pose or legs up the wall, the Viparita Karni also has anti-aging benefits. You can do this pose in the following ways:
1. Find a space near the wall and sit down. Spread your feet in front of you with your left side against the wall.
2. Gently bring your body towards the wall and your legs up against it.
3. Place your hands spread on the sides of your body and balance the position using them.
4. Now slowly lower your back followed by shoulders and hands to the floor
5. Hold your head and neck in a neutral position thereby softening your face and throat
6. Breathe and hold for 5 minutes. Sit up thereafter.
Balsana (Child’s Pose)
Balasana is another yoga pose suitable for hemorrhoids to increase circulation in the anal part thereby relieving constipation, gas trouble and pain caused by the condition. In order to perform this pose, you will have to:
1. Sit on your knees and heels
2. Raise arms upwards with palms inwards
3. Stretch the trunk by stretching arms up
4. Bend forward by stretching yourself with palms placed forward on the mat
5. Extend your arms, chest, and waist and place your forehead on the mat
6. Repeat for 3-5 times.
The Wind Releasing Pose (Pavanmukta)
Pavanmukta Asana is particularly beneficial in increasing the flow of venous blood and curing stomach problems that lead to piles. You can do this pose by following these steps.
1. Lie on your back with feet placed together and palms near your body.
2. Inhale and slowly bring your right knee to touch your chest
3. Press own your thigh on your stomach by holding it with both hands
4. Lift your hold the position for a few seconds and try to touch your chin to your knee.
5. Repeat with the left leg and complete a full set 5 times
6. Do not perform this position in case of menstruation, neck ailments, and heart problems.
Also known as the candle pose, this yoga pose helps in preventing the formation of clots in the rectal area. This is how it is done.
1. Lie on your back
2. Slowly lift your buttocks upwards by keeping your legs straight.
3. When your body is straight, and your legs are in line with the spine, hold for 10 seconds and then slowly come down
4. Repeat for 4 rounds.